Sunday, February 4, 2018

My Week in Review: 1/27/18-2/3/18


I had another week of starts and stops.  I'm not sure if I am in a reading rut or just supper excited about the grandbaby on the way and can't focus.  :)  Whatever the case may be, I was a little disappointed in the books I chose for the week - but these are the ones I thought good enough to share with you.

Hell's Belle's by Alison Claire - 4 Stars ****


Magic can be a blessing or a curse…

Emma Ayers is about to discover the biggest secret of her life--she’s a witch.

When tragedy upends Emma’s idyllic life, she is taken in by a mysterious woman--the matriarch to Hell’s Belles, a secret society of debutante witches in the historic city of Charleston. With Emma’s help, they’ll try to defeat an enemy that wants all the powers the Belles are gifted with—and who will stop at nothing to get them. Even if it means destroying everyone in their path, including the city they protect.

Blood of Stone by Jayne Faith - 4 Stars ****


A new race of Fae. Their reluctant champion. Every ruler in Faerie is coming for her.

Every kingdom in Faerie wants to claim Petra’s people as their own, but she isn’t interested in Fae power struggles. She moved out of Faerie years ago, and she’s been scraping together a living as a bounty hunter. She just wants to catch her next mark so she can make rent.

But when she’s chasing down her mark in a nightclub, assassins attack a minor Fae king. Petra saves his life, and in the process, she gets unwillingly yanked into Faerie politics. Her daring rescue of her changeling sister from King Periclase, who’s vying to force Petra and the rest of her race under his rule, pushes inter-kingdom hostilities to a tipping point.

Tensions erupt into a threat of all-out war, and the only way to settle matters is for Petra to enter a battle of champions—a fight to the death.

Lucifer's Daughter by Eve Langlais - 4 Stars ****


It drives my dad nuts I’m such a goody two shoes, but the fact that I’m a virgin makes smoke pour from his ears. See, I’m determined to save myself for love, but daddy dear, more commonly known as Lucifer, just wants me to stop being an embarrassment. Would it kill you to sin a little?


Maybe he’ll get his wish because I met an intriguing hunk last night in my bar. Could he be the one? He certainly melts my panties like marshmallows over the coals of Hell, but do I dare trust him? My last boyfriend thought he’d gain infamy by killing me. He’s infamous all right. Dad had him mounted on a wall, his version of modern art titled, ‘Touch my baby girl and die’. Cute in a twisted way.

My love life isn’t the only thing I've got to worry about. There’s someone threatening the denizens of Hell, and while my daddy says to not worry my pretty little head about it, I an involved because whoever is behind the attacks keeps coming after me.

Bring it. I’m not afraid. Being a princess of Hell means that sometimes I have to grab a demon by the horns and slap it around. It’s what keeps my ass looking great.

Nothing in my life is ever simple, and I blame that on my dad, Lucifer. Assassination attempts, hellhounds, and a rebellion in Hell? A piece of cake compared to the turmoil in my heart. No one ever told me love would be the toughest battle of all.

The Temptation of Dragons by Chrys Cymri - 3 Stars ***


Bishop Nigel smiled at me. ‘Holy water doesn’t harm vampires. Which is just as well, as it would make it impossible to baptise them.’

When I was asked by a dragon to give him the last rites, I never dreamed it would lead to negotiating with his cannibalistic family or running from snail sharks. Life as the priest of a small English village is quite tame in comparison. At least I have Morey, a gryphon with sarcasm management issues, to help me. And if all else fails, there’s always red wine and single malt whisky.

As if my life weren’t complicated enough, a darkly beautiful dragon named Raven keeps appearing where I least expect him, I’ve met a handsome police inspector who loves science fiction as much as I do, and my younger brother is getting into trouble for trying to pick up vampires.

That’s what happens when you’re dealing with an incredible and dangerous parallel world full of mythical creatures. And I have to learn to navigate it all without losing myself, or my brother…

Dead Snapshot - Las Vegas, NV by T W Brown 
3 Stars ***


Most people faced with the zombie apocalypse are simply trying to survive. Joel Landon is determined to LIVE...by any means necessary. All he needs to do is surround himself with the right people who have the same mindset. Of course, they also have to understand that there are rules. No society can flourish without them. If you step out of line, the last words you hear will be, "I sentence you to the darkness."

Could there be a fate worse than death by zombie?

That was my reading week.  I hope you are reading something wonderful.

As always, thanks for stopping by.

~Michelle 

No comments: